Saturday, April 6, 2013

Multigenre Topics

I was thinking about doing my multigenre paper on increasing literacy. I think that literacy rates are going down because of the prevalence of the internet, texting, and television. Students are less inclined to read books and learn proper writing processes when there are electronic options available to them. Literacy comes in three parts: reading, writing, and grammar.
I hope to do some research that will help me find ways to get students interested in reading again. I know when I was in school, my teachers used "reading carts", independent reading based upon a choice of books on a cart, to promote reading that interested my classmates and I. I'd also like to find some research about interesting ways to teach grammar, because half of literacy is proper language. Creative writing assignments were used in my high school to help us become better writers, but I feel like there are probably other ways to get students into writing properly.

I was going to continue the topic of ADD in this multigenre, because that was what I wrote my last one on, but I feel like there might not be enough research material for it. I know that when I did research last time, the articles were more based in the scientific and medical aspects of the disorder, rather than any practical applications for helping students with ADD learn. Also, with this topic, I don't really know what I would try to prove through my research.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I don't think you're trying to prove anything; rather, you're looking for solutions to well marked problems.... I think you want to be clear about staging this as a problem for the ela teacher: is it literacy? or is it getting students motivated to read? strategies for increasing engagement with the written word, whether that means news paper / poems / novels? I think bringing this into a real classroom will help you think about it in terms of solutions rather than too generally as 'literacy' decline... I do think Sheridan Blau's Literature Workshop book is good fo showing he has students engage with difficulty as a good thing.... might you want to base this all around a selected text?--poetry/novels? and how students would be motivated for it?

    ReplyDelete