Monday, November 7, 2011

Theme for English B (not really)

Theme for English 305

The professor said,

Go home and write
a poem tonight.
And let that poem come out of you-
Then, it will be true.

I wonder if that's simple?
I am eighteen, with ADD, born in Mt. Kisco.
I went to school in Carmel, then Fredonia
to this college of the arts.
I am possibly the only one with ADD in my class.
The hallway from the classroom leads to a sidewalk
into campus, then I cross the street
and follow the sidewalk to my dorm
where I take the elevator
up to my room, sit down, and play a game
and write this poem (eventually):

It's not easy to know what is enjoyable for you or me
at eighteen, my age. But I guess I'm what
I like and feel and hear, Carmel, I hear you:
hear you, hear me- we two - you, me, speak on this page.
(I hear Fredonia too.) Me- who?
Well, I like to sleep, eat, drink, and be with friends.
I like to try, play, game and do fun things.
I like a videogame for a Christmas present,
or systems- Xbox, PlayStation, or Nintendo.
I guess having ADD doesn't make me NOT like
the same things other people like who can pay attention.
So will my page be empty that I write?
Being me, it will not be filled.
But it will be
a part of you, reader.
You are 'normal'-
yet a part of me, as I am a part of you.
That's American.
Sometimes perhaps you don't want to be a part of me.
Nor do I often want to be a part of you.
But we are, that's true!
AS I learn from you,
I guess you may learn from me-
although you're older- and normal-
and somewhat more able.

This is my poem for English 305.

No comments:

Post a Comment