Friday, September 9, 2011

Teaching in Brooklyn

If I was teaching in Brooklyn, I'm not sure what part of my background would prepare me for that. The city, in itself, is a very dangerous place, and although I live close to it, my town is fairly rural and completely different from it. If anything, my perseverance would help me get through it. As a child, I was forced to solve my own problems because my parents weren't there to help me. I spent a lot of my time in day-cares, so I know what activities are fun for kids, and what activities kids find boring or useless. I've also met kids from many different ethnicities through these day cares, so I don't have any biases or stereotypes. I treat everyone the same, which is a good quality for a teacher to have. Also, I've had plenty of English teachers both good and bad, so I know which teachers to mimic slightly and which ones to avoid mimicking and all costs.

Honestly, I don't think anything can prepare you for teaching in Brooklyn. From what I've heard, teaching in the city is very difficult. The kids are from all different backgrounds and places, and the teacher has to cater to all of them. A lot of the kids are difficult to work with because they're rambunctious, rowdy, and possibly violent. A teacher needs to be very cautious of what they say and do with children like that in the room. And that's not including all the children who are slow learners or mentally disabled.

No comments:

Post a Comment